Why detox your body, your home, your life in the fall?
It is a common practice to detox about four times per year, once with every change of season. Detoxing cleanses our bodies and helps to remove any toxins that exist from stress, lifestyle choices, and even environmental factors.
It is no secret that our taste changes and the foods we eat change with the turn of the seasons. We go from cold, fresh fruits and vegetables to more warm and hearty meals. More watery foods like watermelon and cucumbers to sweet potatoes and beets. Completing a Fall Detox can help your body take advantage of these changes and withdraw any toxins or build ups created from the hot summer months.
Some signals your body gives off letting you know it is time for a detox may include allergies, digestive problems, fatigue, acne or other skin issues, bad breath, bad circulation, headaches, bloating, and weight gain. By doing a simple cleanse or detox you should see immediate improvements and benefits including better sleep, more energy, improved digestion, clearer skin, weight loss, and even a reduce in cravings.
A Fall Detox will also help prepare your immune system for the exposures to come, especially with kids back to school where germs are spread so easily. Typically a Fall Detox focuses more on the lungs and large intestine, which are important for circulation, heart health, and proper digestion.
Here are some general tips to help with your Fall Detox:
- Try to eat primarily whole foods. We need to remove processed and refined foods from our diet and focus on clean eating.
- Drink detox teas and broths to amp your detox. Green tea and pau d’arco are good teas to drink.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Focus on increasing water intake to flush out your systems.
- Go toxin-free with your soaps and cosmetics. Toxins are absorbed into the skin just as easily as they are consumed through your mouth.
- Lower or reduce your stress levels through meditation, yoga, or some other form of exercise.
- Reduce or eliminate alcohol from your diet.