Giving yourself the gift of self-love can make a difference in all you do. What can you do tonight to treat yourself well and relax?
Yesterday was Valentine’s Day. It is a day focused on love. However, we typically think of it as romantic love. Love for a spouse or partner. Love for a child. Maybe even, love for a friend.
Now that the day has passed, let’s think about showing yourself some love.
What? Love myself? Yes, you deserve to be loved by you.
I am a total believer in that you can’t give what you don’t have. If you don’t have love for yourself, how do you have the energy to show love to others. Love is not just a feeling. It is a choice to love some one no matter what. Will you choose to love yourself today, no matter what? No matter how you look? No matter what you do? No matter how much you weigh? No matter if you feel you deserve it or not? (Because you do.)
No matter what?
I would like to challenge you tonight to do something nice for you.
It can be anything to just be nice to yourself, but here is what I recommend.
- 1/2 hour before bed. Give yourself permission to stop. (Preferably this is around 9:30, going to be late is not loving yourself.)
- Take 5 minutes to gently stretch.
- Take 2 minutes to do a deep breathing exercise. My favorite is the 4-7-8. Breathe in through your nose for a count of 4, hold for 7 count and breathe out of your mouth for a count of 8. Repeat 4 times.
- Put on your favorite pajamas, brush your teeth, wash your face and crawl into bed.
- Now relax, read a book or go to bed. No tv. Journal if you enjoy it. Just baby yourself for 20 minutes or get to sleep.
Tomorrow morning see how you feel. More relaxed?
Remember you are worth self-care.
What is your favorite way to love yourself?
Check out Self-Care for Optimal Health
Kind & Healthy Friday